Saturday, November 16, 2013

Teenage girl, 14, died from toxic shock syndrome caused by using her first tampon, say family as they launch campaign about rare infection

Natasha Scott-Falber, 14, died earlier this year. Her parents say she was killed by toxic shock syndrome after using a tampon for the first time

A teenager who dreamed of starring in the West End died from an ultra-rare infection after using a tampon for the first time, her heartbroken family have said.
Natasha Scott-Falber, 14, died suddenly on Valentine's Day in Caerwent, Wales, five days after she fell ill with what was thought to be the norovirus.

Her family now believe the teenager died of toxic shock syndrome - a bacterial infection which affects just 40 people a year in Britain.
Posting on Facebook, her family - which includes her mother Mandy Scott, 52, brother Daniel Falber, stepfather Mike Scott and stepmother Linda Falber - have launched a campaign to raise awareness of the condition so other sufferers spot the signs earlier.
They said: 'Natasha died of toxic shock syndrome the first time that she used tampons.
'Generally speaking, it is accepted knowledge that leaving a tampon in for too long can cause toxic shock syndrome. In Natasha’s case, she followed all of the instructions and used the tampon correctly; it was simply the introduction of the tampon into her body which caused toxic shock syndrome to take effect.
'Tash became ill five days before she died but remained in good spirits, and only the evening before she died, she was telling Mandy off for fussing over her, and saying that she was feeling much better.'She died peacefully at approximately 6.45am on Valentine’s Day after falling asleep watching one of her favorite TV programs.

No comments: